Close

Ghana seeks INTERPOL warrant for Russian national in online exploitation case

logo

logo



The Minister for Communication, Digital Technology and Innovations, Sam Nartey George, has announced that Ghana’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) is taking steps to secure an international arrest warrant through INTERPOL for a Russian national accused of publishing sexually explicit images and videos of Ghanaian women without their consent.

Speaking to the media on Wednesday, February 18, the Minister described the suspect’s actions as “atrocious conduct” and said the government would pursue all legal avenues to ensure accountability.

“This is a serious violation of our laws and the dignity of our citizens. We will not allow anyone to exploit Ghanaian women and hide behind borders,” Sam George stated.

The move follows formal complaints by several women who appeared in a viral video involving the suspect. According to the Minister, the reports triggered immediate investigations by the CID and other relevant state agencies.

Trending:  Kwame Ato, the Galamsey Kingpin, lays out requirements to lift Carlos' curse.

He explained that online speculation surrounding the suspect’s identity had been put to rest after official verification.

“Checks conducted through his passport have confirmed that he is a Russian national, contrary to earlier rumours circulating on social media,” he noted.

The Minister said investigators are currently working with the Ghana Police Service and financial and cybersecurity agencies to gather evidence and prepare documentation for international cooperation.

Before the announcement, the government summoned officials from the Russian Federation to express concern over the alleged unlawful conduct and to demand cooperation in the investigations.

The case gained national attention after a video went viral on social media, showing a man identified as Yaytseslav interacting with several Ghanaian women. Some of the women were later reported to have accompanied him to his hotel.

Trending:  2025 in Review: Fire, power and the weight of return (January – March)

The footage sparked widespread public outrage, with many calling for swift action against online sexual exploitation and the abuse of digital platforms.

Sam George stressed that the case highlights the growing challenge of cybercrime and digital abuse in Ghana, adding that government remains committed to protecting victims.

He also warned members of the public against sharing or circulating the explicit content.

“Anyone who downloads, forwards, or monetises these materials is equally breaking the law and will be dealt with,” he said.

The Ministry says it will continue to update the public as investigations progress, while working with international partners to ensure justice is served.

DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.

Trending:  Ghanaians share Christmas messages of love, hope and unity

Tags:  

DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.


Source: www.myjoyonline.com
scroll to top