Neighbours narrate how ‘pregnant baby thief’ left home to deliver
Days after the baby was rescued and reunited with family, more details are emerging on the Mamprobi Hospital baby theft case.
Neighbours of the accused person, 33-year-old Latifa Salifu, who reportedly stole a four-day-old baby boy from the Mamprobi hospital on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, have given details about how she left the house for the hospital to presumably give birth.
One of her neighbours, a woman who sells close to the accused person’s home, said she spoke to Latifa when she left for the hospital.
“I asked her if she was going to the hospital, and she said ‘yes’. Then I said, ‘Go early so you can return early.’
Just a few hours later, after I had finished cooking, I was grinding pepper when a taxi pulled up, and she came out of it holding a baby.
“Then I said, ‘Eii, you’ve gone to give birth this fast, congratulations. Give thanks to God; you didn’t take long to deliver. You delivered in such a short time,’ and she said ‘yes’. Then I said, ‘You would give birth to 20 (children) because you did not suffer much; I have reduced it to 15.’ We shared a laugh, and she went home,” she said while speaking to the media.
The neighbour said that it was the following day that they were told that the baby was not Latifa’s child.
She said that they believed that the accused person had been pregnant over the period of time before she went to the hospital on Tuesday.
“We believed that she was pregnant… If you saw her, you would think that she was pregnant, and that is why when she was going to the hospital, I told her to go early so she could return early,” she said.
Another neighbour, who is reportedly a close relation of the accused person, indicated that she had two children.
She added that Latifa had two children before marrying her current husband and was desperate to give birth to a child for him.
Disguised as a Nurse: Witness details how baby was stolen from Mamprobi Hospital
Watch videos of the neighbours’ interviews below:
A neighbour of Latifa Salifu, the woman accused of abducting a baby from Mamprobi Polyclinic, has come forward with her account of the incident, shedding light on what she knows about the suspect and the events leading up to the alleged theft.#ghanaweb#ghanawebtv pic.twitter.com/SoJhkuU3yw
— GhanaWeb (@TheGhanaWeb) February 20, 2026
BAI/VPO
54-year-old woman breaks 50- year silence on alleged abuse by Pastor father
Witnesses give details of Mamprobi Polyclinic kidnapping incident
Source:
www.ghanaweb.com
