Close

GRA, National Security seize trucks in tax evasion bust

logo

logo

A joint enforcement operation by  Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) Customs officials and National Security has led to the interception of 12 articulated trucks carrying large quantities of food items deemed a major revenue leakage to the state.

The intercepted trucks were transporting 44,055 packages of assorted goods, including edible cooking oil, spaghetti and tomato paste.

Customs’ assessment of the cargoes pegged the tax revenue loss to the state at GH¢85.31 million, up from the GH¢2.6 million loss initially estimated. 

The operation, which took place between 10 p.m. last Wednesday and 5 a.m. yesterday along the Dawhenya–Tema road, was carried out by the GRA’s Customs Division in collaboration with the Revenue Mobilisation Task Force of National Security.

It was led by the Deputy Commissioner for Operations, with support from the Chief Revenue Officer, Preventive (Tema Collection), as well as officers from the Tema Collection and Customs Headquarters.

Findings

Preliminary findings indicate that the 12 intercepted trucks form part of 18 vehicles that have been electronically gated out of the Customs system.

Trending:  Ghanaian drill rapper breaks jail twice in a week, mocks police online

The seized articulated trucks

Although the trucks were declared as transit goods from the Akanu border post in the Volta Region to Niger via Kulungugu, they were found moving without the mandatory Customs human escort, in violation of established transit procedures.

Following the interception, 11 trucks were moved to the Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority (GPHA) Transit Terminal in Tema and placed under strict Customs supervision, with logistical support from GPHA.

Cargo from one of the trucks, which developed a mechanical fault during the operation, has been transferred to another vehicle.

Briefing the media at the Transit Terminal of the Tema Port yesterday, the Deputy Minister of Finance, Thomas Nyarko Ampem, said the operation resulted in the interception of 12 trucks transporting 44,055 packages of assorted goods.

He said the consignments were reportedly loaded from the Akanu border in the Volta Region and declared as transit goods bound for Niger.

Mr Ampem said while 12 trucks had been intercepted, only 11 had so far been fully secured, with six others yet to be accounted for.

Trending:  Victims of Ho Central Mosque shooting appeal to Mahama for intervention

He said investigations were ongoing to trace the missing trucks and establish the full scope of the suspected scheme.

Assessment 

“This is a huge revenue leakage, and we are taking it very seriously,” Mr Ampem said, adding that preliminary indications pointed to deliberate attempts to circumvent state revenue systems.

The Deputy Finance Minister disclosed that although the trucks involved were fitted with tracking devices, the drivers managed to breach the system, stressing that the technical details as to how the breaches occurred would form a critical part of ongoing investigations.

Mr Ampem directed the Commissioner-General of the GRA, Anthony Kwasi Sarpong, to conclude investigations within a week, after which the public would be briefed on the findings and actions to be taken.

Operations

The Commissioner-General of GRA reiterated that the Revenue Mobilisation Task Force, working with National Security, would sustain similar operations nationwide.

Anthony Kwasi Sarpong, Commissioner-General of the GRA, speaking to journalists. Picture:  Benjamin Xornam Glover

Mr Sarpong cautioned businesses and traders to comply fully with Customs and tax laws, stressing that while compliant businesses were partners in national development, those who attempted to deny the state its lawful revenue would face strict sanctions.

Trending:  Navy foils illegal fuel bunkering operation along Volta coastline 

He added that if investigations confirmed the goods were improperly documented, the law on confiscation would be applied, allowing the state to take full possession of the goods and their proceeds as a deterrent.

Mr Sarpong reaffirmed the commitment of Customs to protect state revenue and enforce the country’s tax and customs laws.

Writer’s email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Source:
www.graphic.com.gh

scroll to top