Close

Payroll shake-up looms over doctors rural posting standoff

logo

logo

Kwabena Mintah Akandoh is the Minister of Health

The Minister of Health, Kwabena Mintah Akandoh, has stated that medical doctors who fail to report to their assigned rural postings will be removed from the government payroll by the end of February 2026.

Addressing concerns about deployment compliance to the media on February 20, 2026, the minister said the government had taken steps to ensure that newly posted doctors report to districts where their services are required.

Mintah Akandoh issues one-week ultimatum to newly posted doctors to report to work

“Actually, those who were posted like two years ago, obviously, are working at their various places, but since I took office as a minister, we insisted that we’re sending these 700 people to their districts,” he said.

The minister continued, “And so, we gave them some timelines, we gave them an opportunity. I have followed up to the regions, we have appealed to the DCEs, regional directors, chiefs, ministers, to be able to give them efficient accommodation, and some allowances. Some regions are doing it. So, we think that you cannot be receiving salaries whilst you’ve not reported.”

Trending:  'We will prepare ourselves to outweigh Uganda' - Black Princesses coach Charles Sampson

He indicated that the policy applies nationwide and stressed that postings must be honoured unless there are legitimate concerns.

“Well, if there’s a genuine concern, why not? But so far, I have not seen any genuine concern. Any part of this country is part of Ghana. And so we think that the people must go to wherever they are needed most,” the minister stated.

Trending:  2,800 vulnerable people receive Ramadan food support in Greater Kumasi

Akandoh reiterated that doctors who fail to comply with the directive will be affected, adding that vacancies created will be used to employ unposted doctors who have remained at home.

“And so by the end of February, if you have not reported, we’ll take your name out of the payroll, and then the vacancies left will be advertised, and we’ll look at the next batch.

Mamprobi Baby Theft: Health minister orders strict ID protocols

“Those who are willing and ready to go to those areas, we’ll let them go and fill those capacities. We’re not going to compromise on that one at all. Unfortunately, sorry, we can’t do anything about it,” Akandoh concluded.

MAG/AE

Trending:  BoG announces guidelines to govern foreign exchange spot interventions

Watch as Dr Bawumia, Bola Ray pay tribute to late Alhaji Sidick:

Source:
www.ghanaweb.com

scroll to top